Government has announced plans to start road infrastructural development in the second half of the year, amounting to three billion cedis. The road projects are expected to see a major boost nationwide upon the resumption of the cocoa roads projects.
It will be recalled that cocoa road projects were discontinued for audit and re-scoping and proper alignment of funds to execute them.
Mr. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Information Minister, announced this at a media briefing in Accra on Sunday.
He said upon completion of the audit exercise, some road projects have been terminated and others re-scoped, while others have been handed over to the proper agencies such as Highways and Urban Roads to execute them.
He said funding is now being availed for the commencement of those projects, with the assurance that contractors would be paid for works done.
He said over three billion cedis of cocoa roads are set to commence under the new programme in cocoa-growing areas across the country. Other road projects as funded through the Central Government budget and road fund are expected to pick up during the year, he said.
He said the LEKMA and other roads have already been given out on contract with contractors already mobilising to site.
In a related development, the said the mid-year budget review which will be delivered by Mr. Ken Ofori-Atta, the Finance Minister, on July 29, will among others focus on augmenting government revenues to fund the outstanding coordinated programmes of social and economic policies.
Mr. Nkrumah said the 1992 Constitution requires every administration to prepare a coordinated programme of social and economic policies with which it would govern.
He said the annual budget programme was designed to fund and execute a part of that programme each fiscal year.
He said though the administration believes it was steadily executing its commitments to Ghanaian, the mid-year budget review would allow it to take a second look at revenue availability to execute the remaining programmes, especially infrastructural development.
The Minister said revenue mobilisation, which was highlighted in the 2019 Budget, would remain a key feature in the mid-year review. This, he said, was to ensure that government mobilises sufficient resources to fully deliver on the outstanding commitments.
“It is refreshing to see the vigour with which Ghanaian have responded to the President’s call to be citizens and not spectators and consequently notes calls for the government to deliver on some national issues with dispatch.
“This same vigour will hopefully be translated into our revenue mobilisation efforts to ensure that we fully fund and fully execute outstanding programmes,” the Minister said.
Mr. Oppong Nkrumah said the government had already commenced efforts to cut some avoidable expenses, key among them, is the ongoing work on cutting out capacity charges for power that we did not consume.
He said the government expected that cutting out avoidable expenses while shoring up revenues, would create more fiscal space to fully fund and execute the outstanding programmes in the medium-term expenditure framework.